There are many methods and tools that can be used in productivity and improvement projects; however, this toolkit brings together a number of evidence based methods and tools that are being successfully used across our partnership. It started as a pooling of expertise (as it was, locally, in 2013) and is in continuous development. It has been strongly influenced by other successful systems and by the emerging evidence of what Don Berwick calls “modern improvement science”.
It is envisaged that the toolkit will be used in a number of ways, including to:
- enable productivity and efficiency gains in our systems of care
- support individuals, teams and organisations to achieve improvement and innovation across the whole health and social care partnership in north Cumbria
- give guidance to support improvement work and problem solving and resolve issues within and across the health and care partnership – including how to engage better with the public and with service users to ‘co-produce’ change
We have a wealth of experience and knowledge across our organisations that we can share and use to help people pick suitable tools and approaches avoiding reinventing the wheel. CLIC is about supporting and facilitating, sharing best practice and creating a common language for improvement.
The system leadership team intend that the Cumbria Production System (CPS) should become the dominant management system for managers and leaders at every level to use to produce the necessary quality and productivity gains that our plans envisage. This will require all managers to become proficient in improvement science using CPS and that they foster wide awareness of CPS amongst all staff. The strategies to achieve this include:
- ready access to training in CPS for everyone in the collaborative
- mentoring, coaching and other developmental support to allow all managers to develop their skills
- the adoption of techniques to engage all staff in developing their improvement ideas
The toolkit is divided into two main sections:
- Summary of modules and components which gives an overview of the tools that make up the Cumbria Production System
- Appendices with detailed information for all tools